FRPO: RTA SEMINARS
Toronto | Wed. April 9, 2014 | Old Mill Inn | 21 Old Mill Road
Ottawa | Tues. April 15, 2014 | Hampton Inn & Conference Centre | 100 Coventry Road
Kingston | Wed. April 16, 2014 | Donald Gordon Conference Centre | 421 Union Street
Toronto | Thurs. April 24, 2014 | Old Mill Inn | 21 Old Mill Road
London | Tues. April 29, 2014 Lamplighter Inn | 591 Wellington Road
• Starting a Tenancy Right
• Rent Deposit Rules
• Importance of a good lease
• Ending a Tenancy Best Practices
Prevention is the best cure
There are inherent legal risks in the rental housing business. While the vast majority of tenancies are successful, the landlord-tenant relationship can sometimes be a confrontational one. Avoiding problems before they start can sound simple, but requires extra diligence and attention to detail from landlords and property managers. FRPO’s 2014 RTA refresher course will focus on these important best practices and more.
Best Practices to Starting a Tenancy Right
Know your rights & obligations (Review of applicable laws); Finding a tenant: best practices; application process, screening and background checks: What should you be looking for?; Rent deposit rules; The importance of a good lease; The move-in: Pre-inspection reports and other “Move-in Musts”.
Ending a Tenancy Without Turmoil
When tenants agree to terminate…and when that agreement is void; How to enforce a tenant’s notice to terminate; A landlord’s notice to terminate, including for overcrowding or impairing safety; The N7: Can you fastrack an eviction?; Ending a tenancy for major repairs and renovations; Other issues when ending a tenancy: late rent payments, subtenants, superintendents; Rules around abandoned belongings.
Learn from Real Life Examples
FRPO’s expert case law review this year will deal with recent decisions from Divisional Court and the Landlord Tenant Board on relevant issues many property managers encounter on a daily basis.=
April – 2014 FRPO RTA Seminars
April 9 (Toronto) April 24 (Toronto) April 15 (Ottawa) April 29 (London) April 16 (Kingston)
Breakfast and Networking (8:00am to 8:25am) Introduction 8:25-8:30
Session A: Best Practices to Starting a Tenancy Right (8:30am-9:45am)
- Know Your Rights & Obligations (Review of applicable laws)
- Finding aTenant: Best Practices
- Application Process, Screening and Background Checks:
What should you be looking for?
- Rent Deposit Rules
- The Importance of a Good Lease
- The move-in: Pre-inspection reports and other “Move-in Musts”
Session B: Ending a Tenancy (9:45am-10:45am)
• When tenants agree to terminate…and when that agreement is void
• How to enforce a tenant’s notice to terminate
• A landlord’s notice to terminate, including for over crowding or impairing safety
• The N7: Can you fast track an eviction?
• Ending a tenancy for major repairs and renovations
• Other issues when ending a tenancy: late rent payments, subtenants, superintendents
• Rules around abandoned belongings
Coffee Break (10:45-11:00am)
Session C: Case Law Review (11:00am-12:00pm)
• Examples of recent Landlord Tenant Board orders
•Review of recent Divisional Court decisions including bed bug damages, rent deposits and personal use eviction. Program and speakers subject to change.
*** TO REGISTER, PLEASE VISIT: http://www.frpo.org/events***